German WWI submarine that got stuck off French coast RESURFACES

Rusty husk of German WWI submarine that got stuck on sand off French coast in 1917 RESURFACES 100 years after crew abandoned craft to surrender

  • Wreck of German submarine UC-61 has emerged off Wissant, near Calais, France
  • Submarine was flooded by the men onboard in July 1917 before they surrendered
  • Parts of the vessel have been appearing every two to three years on the beach 

The wreck of a German submarine which ran aground in World War One has resurfaced off the coast of France.

Sand movements on the beach of Wissant, near Calais, have caused the UC-61 to reappear more than 100 years after it was scuttled.  

The submarine was flooded by the men onboard in July 1917 and all 26 members surrendered to French authorities.

The wreckage, pictured, of a German submarine has resurfaced due to sand movements on the beach of Wissant, near Calais, northern France

Parts of the submerged vessel appear every two to three years but usually disappear quickly

The mayor of Wissant Bernard Bracq said that the UC-61 appears ‘every two to three years’ but after a ‘good gust of wind the wreck will disappear again.’  

Parts of the vessel have also been visible at low tide, about 100m from the dunes, since December, reports the BBC.

  • Riot police blast tear gas at Yellow Vest activists who…

    ‘If you love it, we’ll love it: We talk to Bicester…

Share this article

However now it is hoped more of the submarine will be revealed with local tour guide Vincent Schmitt hoping the winds and tides will unearth the rest of it.

He said: ‘Pieces reappear from time to time, but this is the first time we have discovered so much.’ 

Historians believe the UC-61, pictured on Wednesday, sunk at least 11 ships during the War

The crew of the UC-61 scuttled their ship, pictured, before surrendering to authorities in 1917

Historians believe the UC-61 sunk at least 11 ships, either by laying mines or by firing torpedoes. 

The vessel got stuck in the sand during heavy fog and was destroyed by its crew to stop it being captured by the Allies, reports CNN.

The UC-61 had been heading to Boulogne-sue-Mer and Le Havre when it got into difficulties, reports the Mirror. 

The submarine had a dive time of 48 seconds and was capable of operating at a depth of 50 metres (160 ft).

Source: Read Full Article