7am Chelsea news LIVE: James Rodriguez could join, Lampard in Kante battle with France again, Mount could face Palace – The Sun

REECE JAMES earned Chelsea a 4-4 comeback draw against Ajax on a thrilling night of football at Stamford Bridge.

Next up is Crystal Palace as the Blues attempt to move into the Premier League's top two.

Get all the latest Chelsea news here…

  • MASON MOUNT was spotted back in training after suffering an ankle injury, with the Chelsea midfielder set for a late fitness test ahead of this weekend's clash with Crystal Palace.

    The Blues midfielder, 20, who was named in Gareth Southgate's latest England squad, picked up the knock in Tuesday's 4-4 thriller against Ajax.

    The Three Lions ace winced as he limped off the pitch in what appeared to be a nasty-looking injury.

    Mount will now go through a session with the physio before having a fitness test on Friday after undergoing scans on Wednesday.

    Boss Frank Lampard played down the severity of the injury after the Ajax game, saying:“They’ve strapped his ankle and hopefully it’s relatively minor.”

  • ARSENAL should have signed Gary Cahill last summer, reckons Charlie Nicholas.

    The Gunners legend told Sky Sports: “Arsenal don't sign personalities.

    “Sadly I have to go way back to David Dein and he would sit down with Arsene Wenger and ask what kind of character he was singing. That's gone now.

    “It's as if Arsenal sign players because they are desperate.

    “Why not – and I don't know how much he would have cost – go and get Chris Smalling from Manchester United in the summer before he went to Roma?

    “Because he'd be better than what they had. They could've had Gary Cahill from Chelsea and sat him in the defence.”

  • WILLY CABALLERO has revealed that he is open to returning to Spain next summer should Chelsea fail to extend his contract.

    The 38-year-old – who will be a free agent at the end of the season – has been the Blues' second-choice goalkeeper ever since he joined in 2017.

    Argentinian international Caballero has featured just 24 times for the West London side since he joined on a free after being released by Manchester City.

    His only two appearances this season have come in the Carabao Cup, which Chelsea crashed out of last week after losing at home to Manchester United.

    Speaking in an interview with Spanish outlet AS, the former Malaga shot-stopper revealed he would welcome a move back to La Liga.

    He said: “I end the contract at the end of the season and we’ll see what happens in the future.

    “I do not have to return to Argentina because I feel more like a European player. Here I came very young and I left my country at 22.

    “I would like to return to Spain. Elche or Malaga? Of course, but it’s not just about what you want, it’s about [the clubs] wanting you and giving you the circumstances.”

    “At the moment, I’m a Chelsea player and will see what happens in June.”

Source: Read Full Article