Jacob Blake appears virtually in court from hospital bed to plead ‘not guilty’ to sex assault and domestic abuse charges

JACOB Blake pleaded not guilty to sexual assault charges from his hospital bed on Friday.

Blake, the 29-year-old black father who was shot in front of his three kids on August 23, entered the plea during a video conference hearing related to several charges against him.

Police say that Blake was wanted for sexual assault and disorderly conduct charges when he was shot by Officer Rusten Sheskey seven times late last month in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

Blake’s attorney, Ben Crump, said Blake had broken up a fight between two women when cops responded to the scene and shot him in the back, leaving him paralyzed.

A criminal complaint that was filed in July states that Blake has been accused of sexually assaulting a woman in May.

The woman told investigators Blake took her car keys and her debit car before fleeing after the alleged assault.

The 29-year-old was also charged with third-degree sexual assault, criminal trespass, and disorderly conduct.

According to WITI, Blake waived his right to a preliminary hearing and then pleaded not guilty to all charges in Kenosha County court.

During his court appearance on Friday, a signature bond of $10,000 was set for Blake.

A jury selection for a trial on the three charges was scheduled for November 9.

Since the shooting, Blake has remained paralyzed from the waist down and, for nearly a week after he was hospitalized, he was handcuffed to his hospital bed.

On August 28, his handcuffs were removed, and deputies who had been stationed there were told to leave after Blake’s $500 bail was paid.

But the fact that Blake was cuffed – while paralyzed without the using of his legs after being shot by Rusten Sheskey – angered many around him.

"So many things that bothered me but when I walked into that room, you know he's paralyzed from the waist down, why do they have that cold steel on my son's ankle?" Jacob Blake Sr told CNN.

"He can't get up, he couldn't get up if he wanted to, so that's a little overkill to have him shackled to the bed, that just makes no sense to me.”

In the weeks following his shooting, Black Lives Matter protesters and counterprotesters have clashed at demonstrations across the United States.

In Kenosha, police say two people died and a third person was seriously injured after Kyle Rittenhouse, a 17-year-old armed with an AR-15, allegedly shot them during a protest.

In Portland, Oregon, where protesters have taken to the streets daily following George Floyd’s death in police custody in May, Aaron “Jay” Danielson, a 39-year-old right-wing activist, was killed.

Michael Forest Reinoehl, 48, was killed as a federal task force tried to arrest him for Danielson's death near Lacey, Washington, the US Marshals Service said on Friday.

Source: Read Full Article