Trump administration officials considered staging a mass resignation last year – dubbed the ‘midnight self-massacre’ – to protest the president’s ‘volatile and incompetent’ conduct, new book by ‘Anonymous’ claim
- Author of ‘A Warning’ said officials didn’t resign for fears of government collapse
- Anonymous writer is described as a ‘senior official in the Trump administration’
- Trump portrayed as like a ‘twelve-year-old in an air traffic control tower’
Senior Trump officials considered resigning together in a ‘midnight self-massacre’ to warn the public of the President’s conduct, according to a new book by an unidentified author.
In ‘A Warning’, by Anonymous, the author claims that the officials decided against the mass resignation because they feared it would pose further risk to an already unstable government.
The writer, described as a ‘senior official in the Trump administration’, portrays the President as cruel and inept.
They describe Trump as ‘like a twelve-year-old in an air traffic control tower, pushing the buttons of government indiscriminately, indifferent to the planes skidding across the runway and the flights frantically diverting away from the airport’, according to the Washington Post who was given a copy of the book before its release.
Senior Trump officials considered resigning together in a midnight ‘self-massacre’ to warn the public of the President’s conduct, according to a new book by an unidentified author
The book, which goes on sale on November 19, is based on the writer’s first-hand experiences and observations.
The writer also claims their views are held by many other current and former administrators.
White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham described the book as a ‘work of fiction’ and said the author was a coward.
The author addresses the issue of anonymity in the book by saying: ‘Some will call this ”cowardice.” My feelings are not hurt by the accusation. Nor am I unprepared to attach my name to criticism of President Trump. I may do so, in due course.’
They initially gained fame for an anonymously-written column in the New York Times last year, titled I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration.
In the book, which last night reached number four on Amazon’s best seller’s list, the author describes senior officials waking up in a ‘full-blown panic’ over pronouncements Trump made on Twitter.
Revelations: The cover of ‘A Warning’, a new book by the same anonymous Trump official who wrote last year’s New York Times op-ed
The author also claims that Trump is openly sexist and racist behind the scenes.
They wrote: ‘He comments on makeup. He jokes about weight. He uses words like ”sweetie” and ”honey” to address accomplished professionals.’
It is also alleged that Trump put on a Hispanic accent during a meeting in which he complained about migrants crossing the US-Mexico border.
‘We get these women coming in with like seven children. They are useless. At least if they came in with a husband we could put him in the fields to pick corn or something.’
The author also questioned Trump’s mental faculties. They wrote: ‘He stumbles, slurs, gets confused, is easily irritated, and has trouble synthesizing information, not occasionally but with regularity. Those who would claim otherwise are lying to themselves or to the country.’
The book also contains accusations that aren’t back up with evidence, such as a claim that Vice President Mike Pence would have been supportive if a majority of the Cabinet were prepared to remove Trump from office under the 25th Amendment.
Pence hit back at the claims and said Thursday no one, during his time as vice president, has spoken to him about removing Donald Trump from office through the 25th amendment.
‘You know when those rumors came out a few years ago I dismissed them then. I never heard any discussion in my entire tenure as Vice President about the 25th amendment and why would I?,’ he told reporters after he filed the paperwork for him and the president to be on the New Hampshire primary ballot in next year’s election.
‘I mean, look at the record that we’re celebrating here today. The record that we’re going to take all across this country is a testament to President Donald Trump’s leadership,’ he argued.
Mike Pence said Thursday no one, during his time as vice president, has spoken to him about removing Donald Trump from office through the 25th amendment
He then went on to trash the Anonymous author and said if that person still worked in the administration, then he or she should resign.
‘The very notion this anonymous, who wrote an editorial and now it’s reported they’ve written a book is just appalling to me. If there’s someone that’s in our administration or serving our administration doesn’t support this president and isn’t for his agenda, they should do the honorable thing and resign,’ Pence said.
The Vice President’s office had denied the account from ‘A Warning’ – the tell-all book about the Trump Administration written by Anonymous, the same person who wrote last year’s resistance op-Ed, that Pence backed a plan to use the 25th amendment to remove Trump from the Oval Office – a move that would have made Pence president.
In the book, the author claims that White House staff made a ‘back-of-the-envelope tally’ in 2017 of who would be willing to plot against Trump.
According to HuffPost, they believed that Pence would sign off the procedure and take the acting presidency himself.
Under the 25th Amendment, Pence and a majority of the Cabinet could declare the President incapacitated and unable to discharge his powers.
Pence would then become Acting President with all the ‘powers and duties’ of the top job.
Trump could challenge their decision, setting up a constitutional stand-off in Congress where the House and Senate would decide the issue.
The procedure has never been used in that way, although Presidents Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush briefly triggered it themselves during medical surgery.
Pence was in New Hampshire to formally file the Trump campaign’s registration for the state’s primary at the secretary of state’s office.
He had with him the paperwork and a $1,000 check to pay the state filing fee.
‘It is such a pleasure to be here today,’ the vice president said. ‘In so many ways, a movement that has restored our economy… began here in the Republican primary in New Hampshire. I couldn’t be more honored on behalf of the President of the United States to be here today.’
But he wouldn’t discuss his own political future.
Asked if he planned to run for president in 2024, he responded: ”I’ll keep you posted.’
A few protesters greeted the vice president at his arrival, holding ‘Dump Trump’ signs. One with a megaphone repeatedly shouted that ‘Vice President Mike Pence is the worst since Jimmy Carter.’
Joining him at the filing were Republican Gov. Chris Sununu and longtime secretary of state, Bill Gardner, who almost lost his job after he served on Trump’s election integrity commission, which the president created to investigate unproven claims that millions of people voted illegally in 2016, which he claimed was why he lost the popular vote to Hillary Clinton.
Corey Lewandowski, one of Trump’s campaign managers during the 2016 campaign, arrived ahead of Pence. He’s fueled speculation he may for Senate in the state next year.
‘I’ll let you know by the end of the year. If I run I win,’ he told reporters.
Lining the hallway to the secretary of state’s office were high-profile state Republicans – many of whom were wearing Make America Great Again hats.
‘Four more years’ was chanted to the beat of a drum as was ‘USA, USA, USA.’
Pence is in New Hampshire as one of his aides, Jennifer Williams, arrived on Capitol Hill to testify in the impeachment inquiry.
The Vice President faces the constant struggle of appearing loyal to Trump – who values loyalty – and staying clear of the president’s controversies.
Pence’s aides plan to protect him by sending him on the road, CNN reported.
The Vice President was in Virginia on Saturday to campaign with Republican candidates ahead of Tuesday’s election.
Pence was not on Trump’s July 25 call with Ukrainian President Zelensky but Williams and two other aides were.
‘The American people have seen the transcript of the president’s call and they can see there was no quid pro quo,’ the vice president told reporters in New Hampshire.
He said President Trump and himself spoke with Zelensky about supporting his efforts ‘to deal with the historic pattern of corruption in place and also to enlist more European support.’
He added: ‘The focus of our administration and all of my contacts with President Zelensky were in the national interest and in strengthening our relationship with the Ukraine, strengthening Ukraine’s position against Russian aggression and moving forward on a reform agenda.’
Vice President Pence signed the paperwork to put himself and President Trump on the New Hampshire primary ballot
Vice President Pence greets supporters in New Hampshire
Pence met with Zelensky when he was dispatched to Warsaw in September in Trump’s place for a World War II memorial ceremony and has had his own phone conversations with him.
He’s been in Kentucky, Louisiana and Texas in the past few weeks.
Pence said during an October visit to Iowa that he ‘never discussed the issue of the Bidens with President Zelensky.’
He had a phone call on September 18 with Zelensky but that transcript has not been released although the Vice President said he had ‘no objection’ to it being made public.
Source: Read Full Article