Gardening experts share urgent warning on toxic winter house plants that can harm your pets | The Sun

IF you’re a fan of house plants and always looking out for new ones to add to your collection, you’ll no doubt be searching for the must-have winter buys.

But now some gardening pros have issued a warning concerning the dos and don’ts of winter plants – including those that could harm your pets.

According to Clear It Waste, up to 10 percent of dogs, cats and other animals have fallen ill after eating plants in the home, with 43 percent of them having to be rushed for veterinary care.

So in a bid to get that number down they’ve detailed all the toxic plants that could result in an emergency for your pet.

First up, they explained why holly – although it looks very pretty over the festive period – should be one to be wary of. 

After pointing out that it’s the red berry of the plant that can lead to issues, Clear It Waste said: “The berries contain a chemical called theobromine, the same chemical compound found in chocolate, which is highly toxic for dogs and cats.

Read More in Pets


Clare Balding urges dog owners to walk pets & beat epidemic of canine obesity


From a clever Labrador to a howling collie cross – your pet queries answered

“It often causes vomiting, diarrhoea, high blood pressure and in severe cases, even death.“

Holly leaves also contain theobromine, though, in a much smaller dose, consumption is still strongly discouraged. Holly, whilst beautiful, is one houseplant to be wary of this winter.”

But that’s not the only plant to be conscious of, as the experts also had a word of warning about others too.

Similarly they explained that winter cherries also contain a poison, this time called solanocapsine which “is found in the highest doses in unripe fruit and the leaves of the plant.”

Most read in Fabulous


People are stunned when they see my pierced eye – then I tell them the truth

Window pain

Woman only realises she’s flashed a school playground when she gets a NOTE


Woman living on £60 a week breaks down after millionaire makes dream come true

Ulrika Jonsson

Brutal celeb breakups are back…and I’m loving it after years of nonsense

They continued: “Some of the side effects of ingesting a winter cherry include headache, abdominal pain, and vomiting.

“The actual amount of toxin that is ‘safe’ to ingest is still up for debate, so the general advice is to keep them out of reach of animals and children – or better yet avoid having them in your home altogether.”

Another popular winter plant that is best avoided is yew, which the experts said was simply “not worth the risk.”

They continued: “In animals, yew poisoning often presents symptoms like diarrhoea, vomiting, trembling and convulsions – which are also seen in human yew poisoning with severe cases potentially leading to comas. 

But it’s not all bad news. Another plant that has been much discussed over the years is none other than the festive flower poinsettia.

In the past, experts suggested that the plant had a high level of poison for both animals and humans if ingested, while the sap of the plant could also cause a reaction. 

But that’s now come into question, with new research suggesting it could be much lower than first thought.

So what do the experts advise now?  

They concluded: “Clear It Waste still suggests keeping this plant away from pets and children as ingesting high volumes of it could still produce nausea and vomiting. 

Read More on The Sun


People are stunned when they see my pierced eye – then I tell them the truth

Window pain

Woman only realises she's flashed a school playground when she gets a NOTE

“But in general, this is one plant considered safe for your festivities.”

Fabulous will pay for your exclusive stories. Just email: fab[email protected] and pop EXCLUSIVE in the subject line

Source: Read Full Article