"What's Galentine's Day? Oh, it's only the best day of the year!"
Thanks to Parks and Recreation, ladies get to celebrate ladies on February 13th, the day before Valentine's Day. Originally a fictional holiday, through the years it has evolved into its own celebration, with stars like Michelle Obama and Jenna Dewan showing love to their girlfriends.
With the COVID-19 pandemic keeping us all at home, you may not be able to throw your usual celebration, but we've got a few ideas for how you and your friends can keep the Galentine's spirit alive.
Be each other’s Secret Galentine
Think Secret Santa, but for your girlfriends. Use a random generator to decide who you're each getting gifts for, and then mail them out so that they arrive in time for your Galentine's celebration. Open them on camera and guess who sent each one! (We won't blame you if your gifts aren't as over-the-top as those from Leslie Knope, because whose are.)
You can cater this to your friend group, too: choose a theme, make them gag gifts … the world is your oyster!
Order in for each other
Leslie Knope and her crew "kick it breakfast style," but celebrating at lunch or dinner works, too. If you're going the Secret Galentine route, you could continue the fun and have everyone order a meal for their Secret Galentine and guess who ordered for whom.
Take a virtual class or do a virtual activity
- Have a virtual wine tasting. Or, if a tasting isn't your thing, just buy some cheap wine and choose your favorite. In the words of Leslie Knope, founder of Galentine's Day, "I'm going to be direct and honest with you. I would like a glass of red wine and I'll take the cheapest one you have because I can't tell the difference."
- Sign up for the same virtual speed dating event. The best part of these kinds of events is getting to dish with your best friends afterwards, right!?
- Throw a powerpoint party. Come up with the silliest topic for a presentation that you can muster and share it with your gals.
- Take a cooking class or follow the same recipe. Bonus points if you're making waffles, Leslie Knope's favorite.
- Have a Galentine's Day book club meeting. Choose a book (might we suggest a memoir or biography of a famous woman?) and read it ahead of your book club.
Throw your usual party, but send your pals Galentine’s packages with everything they need, from decorations to ingredient lists.
If you're the type-A friend who loves to plan (like Leslie Knope) you can send your gal pals care packages that include everything they need for whatever activity you choose, or a list of ingredients that they need for a cocktail or cooking class. That way, everyone's on the same page!
Have a movie marathon apart but together
Choose your favorite Galentine's movies, be they the classic romantic comedy or films about fierce female friendships, and watch together. You can do this over Zoom by pressing play at the same time and chatting with each other, or by using a browser extension like Teleparty. Some streaming services, like Disney+ and Netflix, even have special modes that let you watch movies with others remotely.
Show your gals some love
Is it even Galentine's Day if you don't hype up your girls on social media? Here are some captions (all from Leslie Knope) that you should use:
- "Uteruses before duderuses … Ovaries before brovaries.”
- "No one achieves anything alone."
- “We need to remember what’s important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn’t matter, but work is third.”
- "Ladies celebrating ladies. It's like Lilith Fair, minus the angst. Plus frittatas."
- "I like you and I love you."
- "You are the most beautiful, glowing, sun goddess ever."
- "You rainbow-infused, space unicorn."
- "You beautiful tropical fish."
- "You poetic, noble, land mermaid."
- "You beautiful, rule-breaking moth."
- "You are a beautiful, talented, brilliant, powerful musk ox.”
Source: Read Full Article