AN eight-year-old girl has died in hospital after strong wind lifted up a bouncy castle she was playing on in a tragedy that left another eight children injured.
News she had lost her fight for life emerged early this morning morning just over 12 hours after the accident at a fairground in the town of Mislata near Valencia, Spain.
She was rushed to La Fe Hospital in Valencia after being thrown into the air when a gust of wind lifted the bouncy castle several feet into the air and she hit her head on hard ground as she landed.
A younger girl aged four was also seriously injured and remains in hospital.
Seven other youngsters were hurt and required hospital treatment although their injuries were mostly described as non-serious.
The drama occurred just after 8pm local time yesterday.
A police investigation is now underway to ascertain whether the incident was linked to any negligence.
Mislata’s mayor Carlos Fernandez Bielsa said: “It will be up to the police to determine what has happened.”
Most read in News
Tributes to 'wonderful & loving' mum, 27, found dead at home with baby son
Brits with positive lateral flow test will 'no longer need PCR check'
Andrew attempts to weasel way out of 'sex assault lawsuit through technicalities'
Heartbreaking tributes to mum found dead at home – as man arrested
A spokesman for local firefighters, who attended the scene along with police and paramedics, said ahead of news one of the youngsters involved had died: “Several children have been assisted by paramedics following an incident involving a bouncy castle in Mislata.
“We have checked the structure to make sure there were no other minors beneath it and rule out anyone being trapped.”
Mislata Town Hall said in a statement after learning of the death: “Following the tragic incident last night we have declared a period of official mourning until January 7 because of the death of one of the girls involved.
“We would like to transmit our sincere condolences to the family and friends of the youngster who lost her life. She was only eight years old.”
It also announced it was suspending a scheduled Three Kings Day parade.
A similar incident in Australia last month caused the deaths of six children aged 11 and 12.
Chace Harrison became the sixth youngster to die of his injuries after his life support was switched off at a Hobart Hospital on December 19.
He was among nine students who fell 32 feet from an inflatable castle when it was lifted up by wind at a school fair in Devonport, Tasmania.
The other five children who lost their lives have been named as 11-year-old Addison Stewart, and 12-year-olds Zane Mellor, Jye Sheehan, Jalailah Jayne-Maree Jones, and Peter Dodt.
Source: Read Full Article