‘We don’t want our daughter’s death to be in vain’: Parents of schoolgirl, 14, who died after accidentally inhaling deodorant fumes call for clearer labelling on aerosol cans
- Giorgia Green was found unresponsive in her bedroom in Derby on 11, May, 2022
- Giorgia is not the first child to die after accidentally inhaling deodrant fumes
A mother and father wants to warn people after his 14-year-old daughter died from a cardiac arrest after in haling areosol deodorant.
Giorgia Green, 14, from Derby was found unresponsive in her bedroom on 11, May, 2022.
An inquest into the little girl’s death was recorded as misadventure by the coroner but was ‘consistent with inhalation of aerosol’, according to the BBC.
Her parents Paul and Clare Green have become aware of other young people who accidentally died after inhaling the fumes and said their ‘greatest wish is that beloved Giorgia’s passing is not in vain’.
Giorgia Green, 14, from Derby was found unresponsive in her bedroom on 11, May, 2022 she after died from a cardiac arrest after in haling areosol deodorant
Her parents Paul and Clare Green have become aware of other young people who accidentally died after inhaling the fumes and said their ‘greatest wish is that beloved Giorgia’s passing is not in vain’. The pair have set up a Just Giving fundraiser in hope to get £4,000 to raise awareness of the dangers of aerosol spray use
The parents now want clearer product labelling to warn people of the potential dangers as they claim the warnings are too small.
The British Aerosol Manufacturers’ Association told the BBC that the deodorants have ‘very clear warnings’.
It is a legal requirement for areosol deodrants to be printed with the warning ‘keep out of reach of children’.
The little girl’s parents warn many others buy their children deodrant without noticing it.
The pair have set up a Just Giving fundraiser in hope to get £4,000 to raise awareness of the dangers of aerosol spray use.
The parents wrote: ‘Giorgia Almira Green (our 14yr old daughter) went to her room on 11th May 2022.
‘When mum went up to her as it was time for them to go out to Giorgia’s drumming lesson, Giorgia was non responsive.
‘No illness, no sickness, no warning. A perfectly healthy fit child who has never been seriously ill.
‘Giorgia’s passing has come as a total shock and totally out of the blue.
‘We want to share that this happened because our daughter sprayed too much aerosol deodorant.
‘Due to her sensory seeking behaviour she liked to spray her blanket and wrap herself in the blanket.
‘She liked the smell of the deodorant and it made her feel relaxed and calm.
‘Please help us spread the word that toxic/poisonous chemicals and gases in aerosol cans CAN KILL!!!
‘This type of death is not limited to children!!!!’
Butane – the main ingredient of Giorgia’s deodorant – was recorded as having been involved in 324 deaths between 2001 and 2020.
Propane and isobutane – also in Giorgia’s deodorant – were mentioned in 123 and 38 deaths.
The parent added: ‘So many people have asked what we can do to help.
‘What we really want is to raise awareness about the dangers of aerosol products in the home.
‘This hopefully could prevent further tragedies happening again.
‘Now, our greatest wish is that beloved Giorgia’s passing is not in vain.’
Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents Health Adviser, Ashley Martin, told the BBC: ‘Inhaling large quantities of aerosols, not just deodorants, can lead to a whole host of life-endangering scenarios – from blackouts and breathing difficulties, to heart rhythm changes and sadly, death.
We have seen a number of fatalities over recent years where children and young adults have over-sprayed aerosols – from teenagers conscious of body odour, to children seeking reassurance from familiar smells
You can donate to Paul and Clare’s fundraiser here.
Source: Read Full Article